View Single Post
Old 10-18-2012, 06:24 PM
WSI Regular

I think it needs to be made clear that "premier" pricing and "dynamic" pricing are not the same thing.

I'm not necessarily opposed to either one, but I think the White Sox have been doing it wrong.

I understand the mentality of "I want a bleacher seat to be $X whether it's against the Cubs, the Tigers, or the Astros," but this is a business and prices can and should be set by supply and demand.

I don't mind if the Sox want to set an upper deck reserve seat at $7 for most weeknights, and make it $12 for opening day, or the Cubs, or weekends in the summer, if the market will bear that price and people will buy those tickets at that price. Most professional sports franchises are doing something along those lines. It makes no sense to sell those tickets at $22 for regular games, and then make it $32 for a "premier" game, when no one is buying seats at those price points for either game.

As for "dynamic" pricing- that is the idea that as tickets become more scarce, the price increases due to the demand, so that the value isn't lost to the secondary ticket market.

That is *fine* if you have 30,000 season ticket holders and every game is close to selling out. It makes no sense when you have 3,000 empty lower deck reserved seats that haven't sold at $35, because there is no value in those seats at that price, and then INCREASE the price to $48 the week of the game and call it "dynamic," which is what they were doing.

Finally, I'm pretty computer savvy, and have no problem using stubhub or internet codes. There sometimes is pretty good value there for better seats. However, sometimes I just want to take a family of 5 to a game and sit in the upper deck. It will nice to be able to do that this year without paying a 50% markup in online service fees. I can go the park the day of the game and get 5 cheap seats for $35, instead of $100.