View Single Post
Old 11-01-2012, 08:40 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCWHITESOX View Post
There is no way the Sox are going to consider the Tank at 3B. He is a below average out fielder and would be a poor choice at 3B. I hope the Sox can move Dunn for a 3B or CF maybe a sign and trade with Boston for Ellsbury.
I don't think Tank's a good option at 3B, but let's be real here, at the very least, he's an average corner outfielder and, depending on how much stock you put into some defensive metrics, one of the best LF in the AL last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parlaycard View Post

He's bad defensively? I dont know what your basis is for this statement, but Kevin Youkilis is a good defensive third baseman.

He has finished 7th and 5th respectively the last 2 years in fielding percentage in MLB the past 2 seasons.
Fielding percentage is a roundly awful way to look at a player's defensive capabilities. In terms of Youk, all you need is the eye test; he was fine when he first got to Chicago, but as the season dragged on and his knees wore down, he got worse and worse. I can't remember how many times in the last 2 months of the season someone would hit a ball sharply in the area of 3B and Youkilis just kind of helplessly stood there, unable to make any kind move to the ball. Doesn't get charged with an error (and pad that fielding percentage) but a better defensive 3B may have made some play on some of those balls.

Youkilis is only valuable as long as he's healthy and I'm not sure he's going to be able to play the amount of innings and games to justify the kind of contract offer he might get.