View Single Post
Old 11-01-2012, 04:29 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
I think you've touched on why football has overtaken baseball as the most popular sport in the U.S. Being a devoted baseball fan is hard. It takes a major time commitment -- games every day. Football is essentially a one day a week commitment. It's a lot easier to carve out 3 hours on a Sunday to watch the Bears than 3 hours every day to watch the Sox. With so many entertainment options available, many people simply aren't willing to (or don't have the time to) make the commitment.

Same logic holds true for the Super Bowl vs. the World Series. Just my opinion. Baseball is a great game (I think the greatest), but it's not for everyone. A best of seven series will never be as compelling to the casual fan as a one-game winner take all event.
Super Bowl = 1 night in late January + lots of gambling action = mass popularity

World Series = 4-7 nights across 9 days in late October + low gambling interest = lower popularity for the general population

I am 10X the baseball fan vs. football fan- but if it's a generic game that does not involve "my" teams- an NFL game is probably more interesting to watch.
2005-2013 Record: 49-38
MLB Parks Visited: 24, MiLB Parks Visited: 11
"When I heard the National Anthem it hit me," Jose Abreu said through White Sox spokesperson Lou Hernandez. "I love the Anthem. When I learn English Iím going to sing it."