Thread: Unrequited Love
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2012, 12:05 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky F. Dent View Post
The passing of Pascual Perez got me thinking about his brother, Melido. I had an inexplicable love for the right handed Dominican, and an completely unsubstantiated belief that, given enough time, he could become a dominant starter for the Sox. I looked at Melido Perez and I saw the next Juan Marichal. That obviously never took place, and to this day I have no explanation for what I saw in this guy and his game that led me to these absurd conclusions.

So, since we are headed into the cold dark days of the offseason, who was your guy? Who was the Sox player or prospect that you were damned certain was going to become the next Babe Ruth or Cy Young, who never turned into the all-star you had always dreamed he would be, and, in the words of Bart Giamatti, left you to "face the fall all alone."
I've been out of town (in Denver, CO) and am just getting a chance to get caught up on the latest Sox news; it looks like last week was a busy and productive one for our Sox. Anyway, while scanning WSI threads, I found this one really interesting to read (thanks Bucky for starting it). I will add the name of a former Sox player who I thought would be great: Francisco Barrios.

If you don't remember him, you can read all about Francisco here.

I know his Bio reads like he didn't amount to much but when I was a kid, I thought Francisco would be great. I was excited to see a player with a Spanish last name (Barrios is a family name on my mom's side) who had such talent wearing a White Sox uniform. I dreamed of Francisco being selected to the All-Star game and of getting a Barrios jersey for Christmas. Neither of these things happened, although I did enjoy watching Francisco collect his career-high 14 wins for the Sox in 1977. Sadly, Francisco's life ended too soon at age 28 as a result of a drug overdose/heart attack.
October26 - Twenty-SEVEN years ago, I married my husband on October 26. Since that day, we have been blessed with a wonderful family. Then, on October 26, 2005, when the baseball gods bestowed their good fortunes upon us, we saw the White Sox win the World Series. An incredibly talented team of grinders made every Sox fan's dream come true. My family and I celebrated with reckless abandon. And now, we look forward to that day when our White Sox will once again be World Series Champions!