View Single Post
Old 11-25-2012, 05:45 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
I think there is overwhelming evidence that it did in fact happen. Jackie even mentioned it happening in an article written around 1953. There is some question as to when it happened. The folklore would say it occurred in Cincinnati in 1947 but Robinson and others recall it happening in Boston in 1948. There is SOME evidence for it happening in 1947 though. This is a good article about it:
http://www.villagevoice.com/2007-04-...rs-strike-out/
Well I shouldn't have said it never happened because it could have but really Eddie Stanky was the one who first came to accept Robinson as a teammate, and he's the one who is actually known for putting his arm around Robinson during the 1947 season. I think alot of people use Reese for this story because he was alot more popular with writers and fans. Pee Wee Reese never recalled this even happened but they did become close during the 1948 season and Reese was well known to pat teammates on their backs too. Actually what Eddie Stanky did was far more impressive due to he was from the deep south and lived there during the off season so for a deepsoutherner in 1947 to do that took alot of guts. I guess it is one of those things like the Ruth called shot which nobody will ever really know for sure.