View Single Post
Old 11-25-2012, 06:59 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagowhitesox1 View Post
Well I shouldn't have said it never happened because it could have but really Eddie Stanky was the one who first came to accept Robinson as a teammate, and he's the one who is actually known for putting his arm around Robinson during the 1947 season. I think alot of people use Reese for this story because he was alot more popular with writers and fans. Pee Wee Reese never recalled this even happened but they did become close during the 1948 season and Reese was well known to pat teammates on their backs too. Actually what Eddie Stanky did was far more impressive due to he was from the deep south and lived there during the off season so for a deepsoutherner in 1947 to do that took alot of guts. I guess it is one of those things like the Ruth called shot which nobody will ever really know for sure.
Stanky helped matters but Reese accepted Robinson pretty quickly. At the end of Robinson's first season in the minors in 1946 a sports writer asked Reese how he felt about Robinson potentially coming to the majors and maybe even taking Reese's spot at shortstop and Reese said "If he is better than me then he is entitled to my spot." Durocher also played a big role in the acceptance of Robinson in spring training by quashing the petition to not allow Robinson to play. Durocher pretty much said "He's coming, get used to it. Oh, he will also help us win a pennant and get you guys a bonus."

Go Sox!!!