Thread: World Series
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2012, 10:20 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
I'm not even going to bother arguing over what playoff system is better or worse because you've demonstrated plenty of times on these forums a proud ignorance of pretty much every other major sport so to sit here and try to make any argument would be a complete waste of both of our time. Needless to say, I disagree with your assessment that baseball's play-off system is the best among the major sports at determing which team was the season's best. I personally can't imagine how anyone who calls themselves a baseball fan could not be insulted to see a team like the Tigers, who were under .500 until July, who qualified for the postseason based purely on the luck of geography (luckily for the Tigers, Antoine Laumet de La Mothe, sieur de Cadillac founded Fort Pontchartrain du Detroit in Michigan and not say, in Buffalo, NY where the Tigers would have surely ended up in the AL East and they would have finished a dismal 4th place) can come within a breath of the World Title. It absolutely enrages me that the playoff system is set up so that the games I watch from April to September, that I live and die with every night are rendered completely and utterly meaningless by such a sham system that rewards complete and utter mediocrity. This is not what baseball is supposed to be about. It's not what made the game great a generation ago. It only exists to line the owners' pockets with faux-drama fueled TV revenue at the cost of the historic integrity of the game.

The irony is that the original point of this thread was to determine why the World Series has lost so much of it's luster, why don't kids sneak radios into their bedrooms and hang on the call of every pitch, why don't all Americans gather round their TVs and watch any more??? You know why? Because Americans aren't a bunch of stupid, gullible morons. They're smart enough to see that Bud and the owners are trying to sell them prime rib (THE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP OF BASE BALL!!!) but it's really just a polished turd (here's a sack of **** team that had a losing record to the Indians).

You also seem to think my argument is born of some kind of sore loser mentality? I thought my dislike and genuine disgust over the Tigers' playoff run was pretty evident, but apparently I need to simplify it even more... I AM HAPPY THE GIANTS WON. They were the better team. You think I'm mad now, that we had a sham AL pennant winner? Bad enough Detroit snuck out of Oakland and then got to play a decimated and exhausted Yankees team, but to win the World Series? They would have been the biggest frauds since the Cardinals in 2006. I'm very content that San Francisco won. My anger is only born from the fact that MLB basically stuck a giant middle finger out to any fan who fancies to pay attention to the season for more than 4 weeks in October.
By this argument, perhaps most soccer leagues around the world determine a champion in the best way. There are no playoffs, you have home-and-road games against the other teams in the league for a perfectly balanced schedule, and the team with the best record at the end is the champion.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1; Orlando Hudson and Alex Rios walkoffs.
14: 1-0; Opening Day 5-3 win vs Twins.