View Single Post
Old 12-04-2012, 09:24 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post
There is room for a few fixes. I think we're all OK with the job DeAza has done last year, though my only question about him is if he hits leadoff or #2 going forward.

If Youk is gone, that leaves a gaping hole in the 2 spot, and it seems that it would be more cost effective to get an average speed/on-base guy to lead off (with DeAza at #2) than it would be to get an above-average contact hitter with some speed and a little pop. I've mentioned Polanco and Keppinger as lower cost alternatives for 3B/#2 in other posts, but I'd hope for someone younger and better going down the road.

Dunn seems to do better in #3, leave him there. Pretty doubtful that he's moved, but it would solve a ton of issues.

Paul at #4 and Rios at #5 are set for another year.

Alexei at #6 could be a good trade chip, especially if the Sox think Carlos Sanchez is ready.

#7-9 Viciedo, Flowers and Beckham are the prime trade chips. If the Sox can improve run production (not just a few homers and little else) in the lower half of the order, that would make a big difference. I doubt Flowers will be given a full-time role unless he can hit better, and has a better chance of being moved than sticking as a full-time regular.

Would love A.J. to come back and plug a hole for a year, but that doesn't sound too likely right now.
This thread is basically about improving the team's obp. You want to accomplish that by getting rid of Dunn and Flowers while keeping AJ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota
I'm not counting this homerun or his 3 RBI from today's game because of the game situation. I'm not counting his pinch hit solo homerun in a blowout win in Colorado. In my book, Crede has 2 less home runs than his statistics show, 4 less RBI, and one less walk (the one where he pinch hit for Uribe after coming in with a 3-0 count and taking one pitch).