View Single Post
Old 12-04-2012, 02:55 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorStSox View Post
Since Fields and Owens didn't pan out, we should dismiss everyone's minor league numbers when it suits our argument.
You are missing my point entirely. I am saying that since there are a lot of guys who post good minor league numbers and wind up becoming ****ty major leaguers you shouldn't post too much faith in numbers posted at the minor league level. Numbers only tell a part of the story and God knows that there are certainly more numbers than OBP to look at, especially in the minor leagues.

Josh Fields had a 2.6 K/BB ratio in AA in 2005 and a 2.5 K/BB ratio in AAA in 2006, he still had a good OBP in those years (.341 and .379) but that K/BB ratio could have served as a warning sign that perhaps he would struggle in the majors where he would be facing vastly superior pitching and that his OBP was inflated by inferior pitching. Flowers has had slightly better OBPs in his years in the minors but still has about a 2 K/BB rate which suggests to me he will struggle against superior pitching.

This is not to say that Flowers is going to be as worthless as Fields or Owens was. I think that Flowers could have a nice career and put up numbers similar to JP Arencibia who is a quality major league catcher. My main objection to Flowers being a starter with the White Sox is that we already have a lot of low average, low OBP guys on this lineup in the likes of Viciedo, Beckham, Ramirez and Dunn. I think that a lineup that features five guys who will struggle to have an OBP much above .335 will struggle to get enough guys on to score runs.

Go Sox!!!