View Single Post
Old 12-07-2012, 11:14 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI1020 View Post
I still rank Al Lopez as the best Sox manager in my lifetime. However, as anyone who has worked for a living will tell you, even talented bosses have their weaknesses. Lopez could be very thin skinned and dictatorial. Read some of Lip Man's articles on this site. He didn't believe Ray Herbert was hurt until he saw graphic physical evidence. He once pulled Floyd Robinson from a game for a perceived lack of hustle. When Al Lopez would not give Billy Pierce a start in the 59 WS Nellie Fox strongly dissented and I think, that as much as any talent evaluation by Lopez led him to carry a grudge against Nellie. I still wonder if there was a non baseball reason for Lopez holding Pierce back. Al Smith was once quoted as saying "We all knew why Al Lopez didn't pitch him, but we never told anyone and I won't say now." Will someone ever say why?
I always thought Pierce didn't start because of all the rightys the Dodgers had. I'm sure that must have played a part but it really does sound like Lopez held some sort of grudge against Pierce. But to hold a grudge against Nellie Fox and from what i've read Jim Landis too makes me look at Al Lopez a little different.