View Single Post
Old 12-11-2012, 12:17 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
To say that the talent has produced 'absolutely squat' is really not true. They've graduated a bunch of position players (I'll add Salvador Perez to those mentioned earlier), but they made this trade because their pitching hasn't produced anyone good yet (besides Greinke). This trade may pay off for them, but Shields is signed only through 2014. I question why a team like them who are limited in payroll will be paying Ervin Santana and Jeremy Guthrie $20 million in 2013.

I think this was another good article looking at the trade:

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...-team-building
It absolutely is true in terms of on-field producation, as Kansas City has gone 9 years since they've even won 80 games. And they've had a plethora of "up and coming" superstars over the past decade and only one to this point, Gordon, has been an above average player, but even then, 2 seasons of OPS+ 133 baseball isn't exactly HOF, MVP-caliber stuff here. He's a very good player, but you're still talking about a guy who has fallen well, well, well short of expectations.

Keri's pro-Rays bias ruins the piece for me, IMO. You could very easily flip the script and say the same things about Kansas City he said about Tampa. They went out, rocked the boat, and ultimately, made themselves better for the 2013 season.

And you've got to again remember, Kansas City doesn't need to build an elite level team to compete in the Central. You don't even have to be above average, the 7th best team in the AL wound up winning this disgustingly bad division. Maybe the Royals would be a lock for a 4th or 5th place finish in the East or West, but here, they're definitely to be taken seriously.

0-5

LAST GAME: August 4 - Twins 16, Sox 3
NEXT GAME: I don't know, but I'll be sure to warn you when I know