View Single Post
Old 12-14-2012, 03:55 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Thome:

A player is "worth" whatever the market will bear and whatever someone is willing to pay them as in every other employment position in life.

I'm not saying that a major league player is more valuable to society than say a police office or a teacher. I will say that there are only 750 or so jobs at the major league level.

The odds are very, very, very long of anyone getting to that position. When they do, they deserve to collect big.

Lip
Yep, that's capitalism to a tee, supply and demand dictate compensation . A lot of people just can't wrap their heads around the concept . And if we all acknowledge that the free market is the best way to go we can't complain when a baseball player makes 1000 times more than the president or a school teacher. Amazingly, it seems sports figures are the favorite target of public resentment when movie actors and directors to a large degree dwarf the earnings of the pauper baseball stars. Why is that ? Because millions more people would rather see Brad Pitt in his newest blockbuster than to see Joe Blow writing a report on company waste in his cubicle. If people stop loving going to the movies or the ball game, which I obviously don't condone, they will start falling back down to earth moneywise.