View Single Post
Old 12-18-2012, 02:45 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by cards press box View Post
I do not agree, particularly if the Sox re-sign A.J. Pierzynski or make a deal for someone like Jarrod Saltalamachia of Boston. And the Sox now have an ideal #2 hitter in Jeff Keppinger who is also a good fielder at third base.

The Sox were in contention for all of 2012 until they ran out of gas and hit a brick wall in the last two weeks of the season. And, if his recovery is on track, John Danks will be back in 2013.

The Sox have 6 legitimate starters: John Danks, Chris Sale, Jake Peavy, Gavin Floyd, Jose Quintana and Hector Santiago. With a year under their belt, the Sox bullpen will be better.

The Sox still need to make some moves, it is true, but overall I am optimistic for 2013.
The Sox have a good #2 hitter if he hits like he did in 2012 or 2010; if he repeats 2011, 2009 or 2008, we don't. And a lot of key Sox had really good years last year -will they duplicate that performance? Now some didn't and could get better. Danks - he's coming off major surgery. We'll have to see. The bench is as bad as it was last year - and it was terrible. So overall, I don't see the Sox as an improved team; Detroit really underperformed in the regular season last year and improved their team this offseason; the Royals improved their team where they really needed it. So all in all, while we could contend, I think the odds are against it with this club.

So my preference would be to shake some things up, or step back and get some young players (we won't be terrible because our starting pitching should be pretty strong). Now I don't want to make clown trades for bullpen pitchers or pieces like that.