View Single Post
Old 12-29-2012, 12:31 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickallen15 View Post
He's not a secondary player. At 7.5 million in 2 years he is still one of the best bargains in baseball. This thread is way off what it would cost to acquire him, of he is even available. Please check Zobrist's numbers the past few seasons.
I don't consider Zobrist a secondary player as far as performance or even value, my reasoning was his value vs. salary specifically for Tampa, since they are committed to pay Longoria $6M in 2013 with his salary going up every year to $7.5M in 2014, and $11M in 2015.

They've always had issues holding onto players when their salaries are raised to market level. They chose to let Upton go this offseason. For what Zobrist gives them on a raw numbers level, I don't see him staying with Tampa much longer.

Sure they could keep him for 1 or 2 more years, but then get nothing for him in FA, and they need an infusion of hitting talent that can take over some spots at the big league level and hold down positions at a lowered cost for a number of seasons.

Not sure if the Sox are that team even if we give them my suggested offer of Viciedo, Trayce Thompson or Keenyn Walker, and a young reliever like Nate Jones.

Since Zobrist is going to be paid $7M next year and a FA in 2 years, I don't see Tampa getting much more for him than that despite his good numbers.