View Single Post
Old 01-05-2013, 07:12 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post
I always wondered why they trotted Tommy McCraw out there to first base so much. This guy would have been a below average hitter at second base, surely they could have at least found a half way decent hitting first basemen. Was this guy Keith Hernandez times ten with the glove or what?

Seems like Ward, Agee, and Berry were all guys that were expected to hit, but they just didn't come through in '67 for whatever reasons. Colavito was brought in to help and flopped as well, but McCraw didn't seem like a guy even expected to be a decent hitter based on the fact he had already established that he wasn't much of a hitter by '67.
Pete Ward was the opening day first baseman but McCraw had an excellent glove. Stanky moved guys all around trying to find a lineup that could hit but to no avail, team BA was .225 but they led the AL in pitching with a .245 ERA. Kenny Boyer was also brought in to help the hitting as was Colovito but their best years were behind them and helped very little.
As I said in a previous post, I was with the Air Force in NY in 67 but saw 1 game while home on leave in May, typical Sox win as they beat the Orioles in extra innings with a seeing eye single by Hansen up the middle in the 11th inning 3-2.

One other note, in 67 and 68 especially in the American League, the hitting was horrible, in 1968 only one player batted .300, that was Yaz as he wound up winning the batting crown with a .301 average. The next year (1969) MLB lowered the height of the mound by 5 inches to help the hitters.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 01-05-2013 at 08:01 PM.