View Single Post
Old 01-08-2013, 01:27 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
They never could find a 3rd member to go along with Thomas and Ventura. Had some very nice complimentary pieces but never a 3rd big bat.
You are right for the most part however, in 1994 I feel the Sox finally addressed that 3rd "big bat" problem with Julio Franco. Julio was having a tremendous year and it was no coincidence that Frank Thomas was on pace to have one of his best seasons with Franco batting cleanup behind him. When the strike began in August, Julio Franco was batting .319 20HRs and 98 RBIs. The Big Hurt was hitting .353 38HR and 101RBIs. It's no coincidence that the 1994 team seemed World Series bound because they were more polished and balanced then the 1993 team was. Sadly, we will never know what that team could have done in October.

By the time the strike was resolved in 1995, the Sox turned to Chris Sabo and a washed up John Kruk to replace the lost power of Julio Franco who had gone to play a year in Japan. Obviously, that was a complete disaster along with the rest of the 1995 team. By the time the Sox addressed the 3rd "big bat" problem with Albert Belle, the pitching staff had eroded and then the White Flag trade happened.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin