View Single Post
Old 01-10-2013, 02:20 PM
Official Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
We all tend to exagerate things but alienation of the fans by JR and company has kept the Sox from being like the Yankees, Dodgers or Red Sox. In a huge market like Chicago why are we not like them. Do you have a better answer?
I don't know how you feel but it bothers me to no end that a team that lost 100 games outdrew us by almost a million fans while we were in the race all year. It hurts even more because when I was growing up Chicago was a Sox town. I will give some credit to ownership in lowering ticket and parking prices for this coming season, lets hope it helps. I don't know how long it will take to make it a Sox town and a big market team but horrible moves like the original Sportsvision, letting Harry Caray go, the horrible upper deck, the White Flag trade and Dynamic pricing are things that will take some time in the fans minds to overcome.
I don't think the 'casual' fan knows or cares about the white flag or dynamic pricing. The alienation of the fans, and the loss of a whole generation of fans to the Cubs, was started long before Reinsdorf and company. Moving the Sox to unwatchable UHF channels (very poor signals, and LOTS of televisions without UHF tuners) had pretty much every little kid in the city growing up watching the Cubs only, and Reinsdorf didn't do that. So now, it's a Cubs town, the media (all of them) fawn over the Cubs and ignore the Sox

I will always believe that it's totally unrealistic to expect the White Sox to ever be able to spend and market like the aforementioned teams. If that's really what you expect, you'll forever be disappointed and angry. You have to develop a realistic expectation of what the Sox will be able to do.

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)