View Single Post
Old 01-23-2013, 11:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
Sorry, but Verlander is the only "special" guy in their rotation. The other ones are good, but not good enough to keep an opposing Manager up at night worried about facing them.

I don't know how many more real good season Verlander has left in his shoulder. He's a fireballer who packs in the innings each season. If he does not change this, his shoulder will start barking at him big time.
I don't know where to begin.

Verlander is not breaking down. He's not shown any signs of that, and is never injured. I don't know where that's coming from. That's like looking at Roger Clemens or Randy Johnson at age 28 and saying "boy they throw hard, bet they're out of the league in a few years".

Do you know who led the AL in strikeouts last year? Verlander of course, being his normal self. Know who was just barely second? Max Scherzer. And he did it in fewer innings. In fact, Scherzer had a better second half of the season than Verlander did, and was the obvious ace of that rotation. And no, Verlander didn't have a down second half. Scherzer's that good, and is an ace on probably 20 other teams in the league.

Do you know what Doug Fister's ERA was the last two seasons? 2.83 and 3.45. Not a misprint. Other than Sale, we don't have a starter that can claim something like that. He's an ace or a 2 on most staffs. He's a 3 or 4 for the Tigers.

Ah yes, and Annibal Sanchez. Who many claim isn't as good as Gavin Floyd. Despite the fact that in a decade in the league, he's always had an ERA in the 3's.

Not that special. Right....

Last edited by blandman; 01-23-2013 at 11:25 AM.