View Single Post
Old 01-30-2013, 03:58 PM
WSI Regular

Since I am floridafan, I feel a need to inject myself into this thread.

I have been a Rays fan since they first arrived in Florida, and up until my recent shift of allegiance to the White Sox.

I have been to the Trop many times. Poor parking, no night life, questionable adjacent neighborhoods, and a long way away from anywhere. It sits close to the end of the peninsula that is Pinellas County. Nothing to the South except Bradenton, a long ride over the Sunshine Skyway (an awesome drive with a history).

Re locating the team to downtown Tampa, or even north to where it is centrally located where 275 crosses Tampa Bay into Pinellas County would be a tremendous improvement!

An outdoor stadium with retractable roof with a classic design would be such an improvement over an indoor artificial field. It lacks so much of the traditional baseball park experience.

Baseball is extremely popular in the Tampa Bay Area. Young families and retirees as well as tourists would support a centrally located ball park much more readily than one that sits at the southern most edge of a bay with nothing but water on three sides.