Thread: Hawk and Steve
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2013, 10:14 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylestillman View Post
Very odd article. While I noticed things were bad between Stone and Hawk in the last month of last year, for him to admit they were bad for the last year and a half is a revalation, and is more serious than a simple meeting at Soxfest will solve. Hawk implies that somebody found the light switch for chemistry and they will simply flick it back on on April 1. Huh?

The second issue that should make broadcasts cringeworthy, is that Hawk and Stone are expected to convey the fun atmosphere of the ballpark through their telecast. This implies that Hawk will limit Yaz stories in favor of commenting on five year olds playing with their nacho helmets....your what hurts?

I think all this does is confirm the fact that Stone is out when his contract is up at the end of the year. Hawk, regrettably, goes nowhere. Keep your eyes on the fill ins for Stoney when he takes his mid season breaks. Not saying whether I'd like him or not, but I wouldn't be surprised if Rowand is given a shot based on his reception at Soxfest.
There was a very good thread last year towards the end of the season when we brought specific points regarding the broadcasts that were broken and needed repair. I'm sure Boyer and Grim took note. One point that I made specifically is Stone had done nothing all season to try to sell a ticket to the game. Conveying a fun atmosphere at the park should be 1a on the list of job requirements, right below calling the broadcast. Between the silence and bickering in the booth, both 1 and 1a suffered last year.

I talked to Stone at Soxfest for a minute. While he was being a jag to autograph seekers, I told him I was glad he was coming back. He said "don't listen to what you hear or what you read; I sat down with Jerry four days after the season and told him this is where I want to be." Which, in hindsight, is funny since the only person you had to listen to last year to get a sense of his imminent departure was Stone himself, between his radio gig on Bernstein's show to his last line of the season when he said "life is short and you have to be happy with what you're doing." So, whatever. We'll see what happens.

I love Hawk, but he seemed a bit disconnected at the Fest. Someone asked him to recreate the Joe Crede homerun call from 2005 (vs Clev), and he didn't really understand what they were asking for (JOE CREDE!). Then he tried to overcompensate by turning the BS meter up to 100 by saying this year's team has the best clubhouse chemistry that he's ever seen, in his 28 years with the club, just a notch below 2005 and 1983. Really?