View Single Post
Old 02-05-2013, 08:47 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
Taking last season's stats into consideration, Chris Carter would project to 35+ HR and 100+ RBI over the course of a full season. If he hit .239 while doing that, it wouldn't matter. If he hit .199 while doing that, it wouldn't matter. Like you said, his OBP was over .350, which would extrapolate to 80-100+ walks.

Assuming that he doesn't get hurt or completely fall apart mentally in a new organization, Chris Carter projects to be one of the premier lefty power hitters in the game, or at least what lefty power hitters used to be before the steroid era.

You rip on Carlos Pena, but his prime seasons would be a welcome addition to just about any lineup in baseball, plus he was well above average with the glove at 1B. Brett Wallace and Fernando Martinez are nothing more than meaningless names that you're tossing out to try and validate your point, and they shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence with a guy like Carlos Pena that has accomplished quite a bit at the major league level.
Pena has declined in recent seasons and he's 35 this year. A decent player for an AL club, but not anyone to write home about. IMO, he's there to keep a kid on the farm an extra year or two to ensure proper development. Anything else he brings to the table is a bonus and I'd be overjoyed if he can put up similar numbers that he did a few years ago on the north side.

I've mentioned my disdain for "homer or nothing" poor hitting low-average players on this board before, this is nothing different, and it especially irks me when fans give a pass on the other qualities that makes up a good hitter and assume a player is "good" due the long ball alone.

Chris Carter projects to a cheap poor-man's Adam Dunn at best, with little room for growth at age 26 and too much time in the minors. Hope I'm wrong for the Astros sake, but his entire career in the majors, in AAA and other than a good year at AA proves otherwise. BTW: Wallace and Martinez have similar resume's.