View Single Post
Old 02-05-2013, 12:23 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
[/I][/B]

That's what I'm hoping for. I don't want them to leave as I watch most of their games on TV and have a soft spot in my heart for them plus we always get over to TB to see the Sox on their yearly visit.
The three cities that make up the greater Tampa Bay area have a history of not working well together in order to develop the region. This battle over the Rays is a perfect example. It has been proven by the lack of attendance and lack of season ticket holder sales, that a domed ballpark in downtown St. Petersburg does not work even with a winning team that reaches the World Series. No matter how much the mayer of St. Pete waives the Tropicana lease agreement in the face of the Rays ownership, nothing is going to change even if the Rays win the World Series.

I wish they could all get in a room and then look at the big picture and decide what is in the best interest of Tampa Bay. Why not work together to build a new, retractable roof, modern ballpark in downtown Tampa (Channelside) and work out a deal where St. Pete still profits from the Rays through the original lease agreement term and then fund the re-development of the Tropicana dome area into a spring training sports complex for the Rays? That way both sides come out ahead and help move the region forward.

Last edited by Red Barchetta; 02-05-2013 at 03:41 PM.