View Single Post
Old 02-09-2013, 12:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullythered View Post
Ugh. It's like talking to a wall. I didn't say they were the same guy. That is the type of overstatement you would make. I compared two pitchers with violent motions who had nearly identical years at the same age in their first full MLB starting seasons. The critics all thought Verlander would get hurt, too. It is as solid a comparison as can be made. Also, Verlander was much skinnier at 23 than he is currently.

I can also compare Sale to Max Scherzer, who has the worst possible throwing motion in baseball and actually HAS been hurt. He is vastly more likely to be badly hurt than Sale, based on stuff that has actually happened.
You CAN'T compare the two is the problem. Comparing Sale to Verlander to make your case...you might as well take a hitter and compare him to Verlander and make the same case. It makes absolutely no sense.

Chris Sale is FRAIL. I cannot make the letters large enough to indicate how FRAIL he is. He is 6'6'' and only 180 pounds. His BMI would say he is starving to death. (before you pick on this, that's a joke. BMI doesn't tell people they're starving).

On top of that, he has a motion that puts tremendous strain on his elbow, and evidence last year showed that on a few occassions already.

Verlander is shorter than Sale and weighs more. A lot more. Like a small person more. On top of that: HE HAS ABOUT THE MOST FLAWLESS PITCHING MECHANICS IN THE GAME. I can't speak on whether they were different his first year...but who cares? Did Sale do the same this offseason and learn to throw differently with pinpoint control, command, and no loss of speed? Comparing Sale to whatever you think Verlander used to be makes no sense because what Verlander is today is so far removed from that it has no basis in a rational argument.

Verlander is a once in a generation talent. It's foolish to compare anyone to him for any reason, unless it's another one of the all time greats.

Now...Max Scherzer does have a violent motion. Not as bad as Sale's, which puts significantly more stress on his elbow (Scherzer's follow through makes it look worse than it actually is). But Scherzer is shorter than even Verlander, and still outweighs Sale by 40 freakin' pounds.

Last edited by blandman; 02-09-2013 at 12:49 PM.