View Single Post
Old 02-12-2013, 10:14 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahagga73 View Post
I follow baseball as close as anybody and I don't know any of my baseball minded friends that ever read BP. I look at it and immediately start getting very sleepy, I've never read it. Their projections are just that, guesses. They are about as accurate as a dartboard usually like a previous poster said. They almost always undersell the Sox . I would bet I could guess the league standings as accurate or moreso than the number crunching nerds at BP just by looking at the lineups. Don't get me wrong, I love Bill James and sabermetrics, own a whole library of his and others works, but as far as assigning a won loss record before the season, there is no reason to put any stock into this stuff.
Do your friends run Major League Baseball teams? No? Then why the **** would anyone care what they value or don't? This is as silly as if I were to say, "well all my friends do read BP SO TAKE THAT." ****, every baseball game I go to I see thousands of people forking over $8+ for a ****ty Miller or Bud. None of that has anything to do with why we have this argument over BP EVERY. SINGLE. YEAR. It's because they constantly undersell the Sox, people on the board take offense to it, and then make up all these ridiculous reasons why "OH, UH, BP ISN'T REALLY RELEVANT ANYWAYS" when nothing could be further from the truth.

I'm not saying people have to like them, respect them, care about sabermetrics, or any of that ****. But to say that they don't hold a lot of water in the baseball community is tantamount to arguing with a physicist that that Isaac Newton guy doesn't really matter.

0-4

LAST GAME: May 31 - Padres 4, Sox 2
NEXT GAME: Maybe never? Apparently I am bad luck