View Single Post
Old 02-12-2013, 11:56 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahagga73 View Post
I don't doubt it's relevant to the baseball establishment just that baseball won loss projections are like drawing numbers out of a hat. No amount of number crunching is going to make it any more accurate.
Right, which is why it's frustrating seeing people slam their body of work as a whole over something we know is done more for the fun of it than the serious nature of it's work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asindc View Post
I agree that respect has nothing to do with it, but aside from such curious remarks from a few, I think almost all those who criticize BP here do so with the understanding that it is nothing personal. On the contrary, I think most realize that being consistently wrong suggests at least a stubborness about their methodology that has nothing to do with who they think will actually win the AL Central.
Well, part of that is because PECOTA projects into Pythagorean W-L so while they have consistently undersold the Sox actual record, the Sox have also consistently performed better than their Pythagorean W-L and the gap there, most people know is the kind of things that are almost impossible to quantify.