Thread: TV Contracts
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2013, 05:13 PM
WSI Guru

From my interview with Bob Grim:

ML: Well taking it a step further have the Sox ever had any discussions about starting their own TV network a la the Yankees YES Network? I mean Jerry Reinsdorf owns the Sox, he owns the Bulls and he has a good relationship with the Wirtz Family, they both built the United Center. That gives you three major sports and you don’t have to play second fiddle to the Cubs anymore.

BG: “I’ve never personally been involved in any discussions like that but I think it probably has been talked about. Even with those three teams that you mentioned Mark, we’d still have an awful lot of time to fill. You’re talking about 24 hours a day, seven days a week.”

“Right now to be honest the Sox simply don’t have the amount of video, classic games and stuff that could be used to do something like that. We’re getting closer though, major league baseball now requires all teams to tape every game and send the copy to New York where they archive it for us. So as time goes on we’ll be getting more and more material that we could use if something like this happens but now unlike the Yankees, we just don’t have material from the 20’s or 30’s that we could use say as a documentary to help fill time. When Jerry and his group took over in January 1981, they looked and any material that the Sox may have had was gone. No one knows where it went or who got it.”

-----------------------------
Rumors had it the Veeck family took that material but when I interviewed Mike Veeck he denied that the family has the material. Rich King at WGN-TV told me they have very little stored before 1983. WGN-TV did throw out thousands of reels of film in 1962 when they moved to their location on Bradley Place. A lot of that material was Sox / Cubs stuff from the 1950's.

Lip