View Single Post
Old 03-03-2013, 10:53 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamp81 View Post
I too remember that game well. I watched from my hospital room as I recovered from diverticulitus. I seem to remember that Ozzie said he was very close to activating himself to start at SS that day. They just didn't want to drop a player to get Ozzie back on the 40 man roster.

With KW considering making Konerko a player/manager last year, the Sox could have had 3 out of the last 4 player-managers in Don Kessinger, Ozzie Guillen, and Paul Konerko, with Pete Rose being the other one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtGrnwdSoxFan View Post
I think he was saying that if Guillen had activated himself to play SS that game, that would have given the Sox a player-manager for that game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamp81 View Post
You are missing the point. There was a time in 2005 when the Sox had injured infielders, and were playing in Oakland, far away from where all of their minor league players were. The Sox were so desperate, Chris Widger started at 3B and Joe Crede started at SS. Later in that game Jermaine Dye was moved to SS to replace an ejected Crede.

At the time KW and OG were quoted as saying that they nearly activated Ozzie in an emergency situation to play infield.

They may have had a hangup as they didn't want to drop someone from the 40 man to add Ozzie. Another hangup may have been how Ozzie retired. If Tampa Bay (who he last played for) still owned his rights, the Sox would have had to make some sort of transaction to get his rights before they could even add him to the 40 man.

If all that had happened, OG would have been the 1st player/manager since Pete Rose in the 80s.
I missed the highlighted part, sorry about that. That would have been pretty cool to see actually. I was at school that day so I didn't get to see that game.

Go Sox!!!