View Single Post
Old 03-25-2013, 01:58 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by cards press box View Post
If Danks and Crain are both starting the season on the DL, then perhaps the Sox should put both Axelrod and Santiago in the bullpen and sign a pitcher to be the 5th starter until Danks increases his arm strength and is ready to start. Santiago can provide the Sox with long relief and Axelrod could cover some of the relief innings that Crain would normally pitch.

Who could the Sox sign as a 5th starter? One possible candidate is Jon Garland, as Seattle is not prepared to give him a starting slot and Garland apparently will opt out of his contract with the Mariners.

Any thoughts?
Freddy Garcia was recently released by the Padres. I know his stuff these days is similar to what Axelrod brings to the table but Freddy does have a lot of experience and knows how to pitch. What I would really like to see is Hahn target one of the surplus starting pitchers the Dodgers are carrying around. They have eight starters in camp and right now it looks like Ted Lilly, Aaron Harang, and Chris Capuano do not have a spot in their rotation. Any one of those three would likely be an upgrade over Axelrod.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin