View Single Post
Old 03-25-2013, 02:11 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
As for USCF, I have heard that address line before, and I don't understand why that would be the case. I also remember reading (most likely here) that the team wanted the main entrance on 35th. But quite a few of the newer parks have a grand entrance as a CF plaza (Nats Park and Turner Field come to mind) as opposed to the more traditional homeplate entrance.
According to the White Sox Encyclopedia by Rich Lindberg, both the wind patterns and having a 35th st. address played into their decision process for where the park faces. The main reason was the wind patterns though. The Sox wanted to build a more HR friendly ballpark than Old Comiskey (where HRs went to die) and had weather analysis done and determined that facing SE would give them the best hitting conditions. While the ballpark played a bit smaller than Old Comiskey when it first opened in 1991, it was still more of a pitcher's park than a hitter's haven. It wasn't until the walls were brought in a bit in 2001 and the upper deck was reconfigured with the shorter roof height in 2004 that the ballpark became more HR friendly especially in the warmer weather.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin