Thread: Rosemont Cubs?
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2013, 02:26 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI1020 View Post
I don't think my initial post wasn't even commented on. I think moving could turn out to be one of the best things to happen to the Cubs. I don't understand. In a world where things are changing at warp speed, and not just in technology, the Cubs have to stay in Wrigley forever because the world will fall off its axis? The Cubs need to break from a century plus of abject futility, and Wrigley Field is part of the problem, not the nirvana everyone makes it out to be. Like I said in my original post, a Cub fan wanted to strangle me I think for stating that.
A changing world toward what, though? The changing world of baseball in the last few decades has seen a move away from generic suburban multipurpose cookie-cutters towards city center stadiums which are supposed to look retro (nevermind if they actually do or not). Wrigley, for better or worse, is the economic model for that, a park in a neighborhood where bars and nightlife act as a huge economic pull both for and because of the ballpark. It's why most new MLB stadiums built in the last 25 years has been in a city center where the team is trying to create that neighborhood experience (the exceptions that I can think of replaced an older ballpark in the same city location; in the Bronx, Philly, Bridgeport, Arlington, Milwaukee, Atlanta and Flushing)

It's the draw of the team; the appeal of the Cubs is their old ballpark, you don't hear much about the team's tradition or history because, as Rosenbloom said, their tradition and history is a losing, pathetic one. We've rehashed this argument many teams in this thread, but moving to the suburbs and out of Wrigley Field would get rid of the tourist draw for the Cubs, which I think would be an absolute disaster. A million people per season, which is my completely baseless guesstimate as to what Wrigley brings every year as a tourist draw, are not going to flock to Generic Suburban Ballpark. Attendance would absolutely crash if the Cubs moved from Wrigleyville to Rosemont, let alone at a Rosemont site that is completely unfeasible for a suburban ballpark.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1; Orlando Hudson and Alex Rios walkoffs.
14: 1-0; Opening Day 5-3 win vs Twins.