View Single Post
Old 04-04-2013, 06:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
If you want to ignore his statement after not renewing, that's fine. But don't act like there's no reason to suggest it.
I'm not ignoring his statement at all. I included it in my previous post. He said he would wait until 2015 to worry about a contract extension. That doesn't mean he's going to quit.

The last time I signed a contract, I waited until the last possible day before I turned it in. Why? I wasn't having second thoughts about the job. I wanted to have time to review the contract and also to have an attorney review it, because my contract includes a "no compete" clause. I wanted to be sure that I understood the exact language of the clause, so that I didn't inadvertently violate the contract at a later time.

Robin's situation is different, but that doesn't mean he's going to quit. A number of athletes opt out of their contracts when possible not because they intend to walk, but because they want to test their market value as a negotiation tool. I don't know if that's what Ventura is doing, but nothing about his behavior this season has left me with the impression he questions his fitness as White Sox manager.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman
What the **** is wrong with you? What the **** is wrong with you?
I don't why you're repeating it, as I said it once in the original post.

Quote:
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply that something was wrong with you. It's just that those are what those words mean. You know, in the literal sense.
My implying that you are in error (something is wrong with you) is an attack? Good grief!

Quote:
What does managers consistently being fired before their third season have to do with any second year manager? EVERYTHING
Ridiculous. You cannot assume that Robin will lose his job based on other managerial changes, particularly not if the White Sox perform well. I know they're not expected to win, but expectations don't always have a basis in reality.

Quote:
Right. Which means he isn't sure...
He said that he wants to be sure management is satisfied, not that he believes he isn't qualified. I've said similar things about myself, not because I was questioning my fitness for a particular job, but because I recognize that my wishes aren't necessarily those of the people around me. That's life. Robin understands that, and seems to have a good perspective on things.

Quote:
You'd have really hard time arguing for anyone else if you look at the last five years. Not that you couldn't. But most arguments on it end with Fielder.
I don't buy that, because every time I hear "best left-handed hitter" mentioned, names like Hamilton, Votto, and Cano are the ones I hear mentioned most often. I've never heard Prince Fielder praised as the best left-handed hitter in baseball. I've never even heard his name praised as the best left-handed power hitter in baseball, as many people still believe that if Ryan Howard can stay healthy (not likely), that title remains his to lose.

If you can show me an article where Fielder is listed as the best left-handed in Major League Baseball, I'll reconsider my position.

Quote:
How are the Giants going to cause the Tigers to fail in the regular season and get Leyland fired?
They aren't. That wasn't my point. You referred to the Detroit Tigers as "a once in a generation" team, citing the presence of Cabrera, Verlander, and Fielder as reasons why. I was simply pointing out that those three were also present last season, a season that saw the Tigers win absolutely nothing. How can you call a team that finished second best a "once in a generation team?" That's ridiculous.

Quote:
When did I imply they did? Unless you mean that our previous production has no bearing on projections for this year. If that's your position, fine. But don't knock empirical evidence as a type of evidence just because you don't' believe in it. You are welcome to disagree with it.
That's exactly what I mean. One can estimate future production based on past performance, but an estimate is not a guarantee, something I've stressed over and over again on this board.

Quote:
That the average MLB manager doesn't last three years? That we're coming off a flop of a September? That Robin himself openly questioned whether he was right for the job?
1. I addressed the first point earlier in this post.

2. The White Sox outperformed expectations, so it's hard to believe that anyone would fire Ventura over their September collapse. His job could certainly be in jeopardy if such a thing kept happening, but we're not at that point yet. Right now, Sox management is extremely pleased with Ventura and his staff. Until evidence surfaces that proves otherwise, I'm comfortable with Ventura as manager.

3. I addressed this point, as well. Ventura said nothing that led me to believe he questions his fitness for the job. He simply left open the possibility that management would change its mind, which is a realistic point of view. Robin played for several different managers during his time with the Sox, and he probably realizes that decisions regarding each person's job status weren't always made based on performance, and is mentally preparing himself for the possibility that factors beyond his control may determine his future as White Sox manager.

Quote:
I don't have time for this. You aren't looking at evidence. You're running an inquisition.
If it makes you feel better, I don't have any plans to burn you at the stake.

Quote:
What the **** is wrong with you? What the **** is wrong with you?

Quote:
I've provided more than enough reasoning for my opinion. In a competition thread where I'm making a guess. What you're doing is trolling. I'm not a mod, but I suggest you reread what you wrote and realize your own god damn agenda.
You're accusing me of trolling when you pollute this board with more unsubstantiated bull**** than any other poster? That's rich.