View Single Post
Old 04-06-2013, 06:32 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKMeibalane View Post
Believe it or not, I actually see a fair number of similarities between Josh Hamilton and LeBron James (prior to winning the NBA Championship). Both have been regarded as "The Chosen One" in their respective sports, although James' rise to the top has been largely unencumbered by the personal setbacks that nearly destroyed Hamilton's life.

Hamilton seems to perform at an extremely high level without (apparently) expending a great deal of effort, which causes people to assume that he should produce at this clip all the time. His inability to produce in the biggest moments has frustrated fans who believe that he should be able to deliver whenever he's called up. Unfortunately, no one is that good.
The better comparison to me would perhaps be Bryce Harper. Hamilton was once a big time prospect, but was he ever the undisputed #1? Hamilton also had substance abuse problems, and returned from those. He stikes me as having an abrasive personality, but I wish him no ill will.

As for the second paragraph, I don't think James doesn't exude a great deal of effort (double negative, sorry). He might just make it look that easy because of his unique combination of size, strength, and athleticism. Hamilton seems one of the more gifted players in MLB, but not unusually so. He's not even the second best hitter on his team.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 2-3.