View Single Post
Old 04-08-2013, 09:43 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldRoman View Post
First off, those are ugly uniforms. Pretty much every new uniform in MLB between 1970 and 1992 was terrible, and I am happy with what the Sox wear now (put the diamond sock back on the grays!). These were the softballiest of the silly softball uniforms of that era.

That being said, I will always have a soft spot for uniforms. Not just because the Sox won a division in them, but because they represent my childhood, even if I was too young to remember the Sox wearing them.

I think they looked damn good yesterday. The Sox again did a great job by ordering red shoes, undershirts and catchers' equipment (I'm sure they'll get a new helmet for Flowers shortly). I didn't like that they went with belts instead of the elastic which was worn at the time, but at least Majestic fixed the problem with the gigantic collars they had on throwbacks for the past 8 or so years. Other than the belts and the uniforms not being skin tight with the pants legs pulled up, these were as authentic as any throwback you'll see.

I think the Sox wearing them every Sunday is perfect. Not overkill yet. However, wearing them for all weekday games would be too much, and likely lead to a large contingent of younger people calling for the Sox to wear these full time. Let's not encourage that.
Agree. These uniforms overall are pretty awful - half 80's Expos and half 80's Astros. But they bring back good memories.

Our current standard home uniforms are the best Sox uniforms of my lifetime, and I was born in the 60s. Wearing these on Sundays are enough.