View Single Post
Old 04-11-2013, 09:24 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by canOcorn View Post
I wouldn't mind a new ownership group to take over. Jerry isn't really the Marlins, but he's been raking in $30M profits the last 8-9 years and has also seen the ownerships initial investment of $20M grow to over $400M. Contrary to his statements, they're taking dividends each year on the investment. I guess I wouldn't really have a problem with taking something small each year, but you really shouldn't operate a professional sports team make huge profits on a year basis.

I know he's at the forefront of the latest movement to limit costs on unproven talent - i.e, the draft and international signings, but I really wish they would spend just a couple of bucks on minor league development, instead of operating the minor league operation on a shoestring.
I hear what you are saying relative to the organization's stubborness regarding drafting, paying and developing young talent. However, be careful what you wish for regarding new ownership. The White Sox are for most part, debt free while other clubs like the Cubs are paying service on about a half a billion dollars of debt. The Sox are worth a lot less than the Cubs but the point is, once a team is sold, the cost basis is reset, the debt service clock starts ticking and the team has that much less to spend, unless it can find alternative revenue stream sources.