Thread: 42
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2013, 08:55 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagowhitesox1 View Post
Decent movie and it's alot better than the Babe Ruth and Ty Cobb movie but like both of those Hollywood went a little to far with being to dramatic. Then again I suppose you have to so they can sell the movie.
I'm not sure what you mean, to fit the saga of Jackie Robinson's first season into a 2-hour movie, they had to bleach a ton of stuff out. I think they did a good job of condensing the story for everyone to be able to see and digest. But to tell the truth about what he faced it would probably take an epic that would make The Godfather look like a Saturday morning cartoon.

My only criticism is that the movie is extremely formulaic, but that's true for a lot of good sports movies. Protagonist hero is presented, faces external struggle and challenges, internalizes these forces and is unsure if he can go on, is guided by older, wiser friend, overcomes adversity and wins everyone's respect by end. You can take the script to the bank every. Single. Time. I got the feeling that they want you to think that by October 1947, everyone has accepted Jackie Robinson and the idea of African Americans playing "white" baseball, which isn't true at all.

That said, if you like baseball, you will like this movie, if for nothing else than the sweet, sweet retro uniforms.

Last edited by doublem23; 04-15-2013 at 09:03 AM.