Thread: 42
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2013, 12:26 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawn View Post
I don't know which books you read, but you may want to go back and re-read them. happydude already touched on this , but Jackie Robinson wasn't chosen because he was the best player in the Negro Leagues. He was chosen because Rickey felt he was the best for integrating baseball. Josh Gibson had a history of emotional issues and baggage. Satchel Paige was too old. So no, it wasn't disrespectful. There was a little more thought put into it than simply who was the best player available.
I realize this but alot of Negro League players did resent MLB on the way they chose Robinson and I don't blame them. Robinson was a great player and he turned out to be the perfect player chosen but it's still a slap in the face to players who put their dues in and were passed up because baseball deemed them unworthy. What Jackie Robinson went through was pure hell but at the same time he did relish in his fame and he snubbed his nose at alot of black players who paid alot more dues in the Negro Leagues than Jackie Robinson. I'm not trying to bash Robinson but the movie 42 only showed a part of him that like in 1947 that baseball wants us to see or know about.