Thread: 42
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2013, 02:21 PM
Everybody's All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagowhitesox1 View Post
Honestly if you read a few books on the Negro Leagues instead of watching a movie geared towards kids you will learn a little more on how alot of the old black players felt. I don't mean to say Robinson was hated by players in the Negro Leagues because he was viewed as a hero in alot of ways but alot of players did feel slighted by him. It's pretty well known about his clashes with Campanella and Newcombe and even if you watch interviews by Satchel Paige, Cool Papa Bell or Buck O'Neil they give him respect but they always made a point of saying that there were others who were better players.

There's actually a movie that gives a little insight to how Robinson was viewed. It wasn't the best movie but it's called "Soul of the Game" I read alot of baseball books and I found it interesting how Robinson was viewed by alot of black players in the old Negro Leagues.

I'm not trying to bash Robinson in a backhanded way either but after reading more and more about the Nero Leagues I kinda feel bad for the forgotten players.
First of all, you have no idea who I am, what I've read, and what movies I've seen. Second, it's been stated REPEATEDLY here that there were better players in the Negro Leagues than Jackie Robinson. You seem to keep missing that point. Third, you said he snubbed his nose to other black players. Prove it. Post a link to back it up. This interview given by Don Newcombe sure doesn't sound like someone treated badly by Jackie. But yeah, I'm sure you'll just blow it off as someone not wanting to stir controversy. But until you provide proof to back up your assertions, nothing you say will have merit.

Last but not least...there is a museum dedicated to the players from the Negro Leagues. They may not have played in the Majors, but they have not been forgotten. And if this particular movie gets someone to learn about the Negro Leagues, then it is a success.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives- Jackie Robinson

www.twitter.com/Spawn_03