View Single Post
Old 04-22-2013, 04:21 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxandtheCityTee View Post
It sure is. But that's the way it will be. As he nears the end of his life JR is thinking of his "legacy," defined by him as success in business, meaning how much money he made -- for himself, for his family, for his investors -- from owning the team. He will leave that fortune to his descendants, chosen charities, or whatever. Not one penny of that "legacy" will ever be put back into the team -- that's our job, fools, to create something above the rate of return he wants. If the team doesn't produce, resuting in the fans not producing this excess ROR, well that's their fault and ours, but it changes nothing. He got the sweetheart stadium deal of MLB history, six Bulls championships and one World Series ring. He's blissfully content and nothing will change until he's gone.
Any guesses as to whether or not the Reinsdorf family would sell when Jerry passes? I certainly don't wish ill will upon JR, but I sometimes wonder if there wouldn't be a complete overhaul of the team - ala the Blackhawks - when ownership is passed to one of his kids.

Alternatively, I wonder if the Sox wouldn't benefit from a sale. It seems like most recent franchise purchases have been made by extremely wealthy ownership groups who likely view their teams, in part, as vanity projects and understand that capital investments need to be made even if attendance doesn't always support them.

I think the Sox organization would greatly benefit from a complete restructuring. It's almost criminal that they couldn't capitalize on the city's first WS championship in any of our lifetimes. I know that Sox fans are culpable as well, but they really don't do us many favors.

But back to the scoreboard - it may seem like an odd thing to fret about, but as someone else pointed out, it reflects poorly on the organization and, IMO, makes the entire product feel...cheap. Given that a scoreboard upgrade would probably increase ad revenue, it'd probably pay for itself in due time.