View Single Post
Old 04-22-2013, 11:02 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCWS View Post
If you get a chance, pick up a copy of Francona. Besides the baseball, there is quite a bit of what the Red Sox have done to cultivate their attendance and the marketing around it. A few things:

1. Music---the Dropkick Murphys and Sweet Caroline were both marketing gimmicks that have become staples appealing to certain population segments.
2. Francona was stunned when a big buck marketing survey determined the roster was bland and needed more players with sizzle and sex appeal to improve TV ratings.
3. The Red Sox want the female audiance and gear parts of their marketing approach specifically for them. So the pink hats, Sweet Caroline, sex appeal are all geared to attract the female fan and enhance their experience.
That actually sounds fantastically interesting. I'll add it to my reading list.

Re 2: If the Sox had a young dynamic player I think it would definitely boost fan interest. AJ was the closest thing they've had to a personality in the last 10 years and that was based more on an abstract idea of AJ Pierzynski than it was based on the actual person.

Re 3: I would like to see that, if only for the hilarious backlash here.

The Red Sox are not the White Sox for a multitude of reasons, but they are the undeniable success story of the last 15 years on and off the field.