View Single Post
Old 04-23-2013, 09:47 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
The thing about this that I have never understood is that it seems very penny-wise and dollar foolish. The more young talent you develop which would cost pennies means the less big dollars you have to pay out to the likes of Peavy, Rios, Dunn, Danks, et al. They're running out a very mediocre roster with a $122 million payroll. I would think that, ideally, the better you are developing young, cheap talent, the lower your payroll would be.
Excellent point. The team has certainly been willing hand out big contracts that drive up their payroll. Perhaps, as Lip said, it's more that Sox ownership is philosophically opposed to investing in the farm system.

Maybe it's that coupled with the ownership being slow to demand better results from the management/scouting team they hired. We have a decade or so of failing to turn out sufficient quality players from within. You might argue that it's been 15 years since they last had a position player come through their system to become an above average MLB player. But the only "shake up" I have heard of is when they brought in Buddy Bell 5 years ago....and we haven't seen much improvement yet since then either.

It also looks like the Wilder scandal really crippled the Sox international drafting efforts. But it's been years since that happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
How can we fans really get the message through to Sox ownership that we are fed up with the organization's ridiculous emphasis on loyalty over performance excellence in its drafting, scouting and player development?

The Sox aren't cheap; but they suck at drafting, scouting and developing talent. Doing those things well does not require flushing the major league club; it means drafting better, scouting better, and teaching/coaching/practicing better. If their current employees in those departments can't do that, then fire them.
I think Sox ownership is well aware that fans are unhappy with the current state of this team.....not just their poor play over the last couple of weeks, but just the overall lack of talent and lack of direction.

I just hope they realize that you can't have a team have a series of disappointing seasons in a row and then wonder why fans didn't instantly appear when they were hot for 3 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Daver has it exactly right.

Marketing certainly helps but when you cut through everything the bottom line is that nothing is a better marketing tool than winning...and I don't mean being in first place for three months after a losing season the year before...to add to the fact that this franchise hasn't even had back to back winning seasons since 2005-2006 (I wanted to preempt the "it's all the Sox fans fault crowd...")

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Spivak:

Again I go back to EE statement soon after he and JR bought the franchise (paraphrasing since I don't have the exact quote in front of me...)

'The way to win today is with free agency and trades...'

They have never believed in the minor league system / approach to building a consistent winner, they have never invested the resources like other franchises (Sox spent the least amount of money in minor league bonuses in the last five years of MLB) and just in the last decade they can't even hang on to the same minor league director for longer than three or four years. Hard to develop a consistent development approach when the folks in charge are leaving or getting fired every few years.

Then you add in the instances where JR intervened in who the Sox were going to draft and his dislike for certain agents (who usually happen to control very good talent) and you are shooting yourself in the foot.

If the Sox in fact invested heavily in free agents (the TOP guys) and made good trades I'd say the lack of a minor league system wouldn't be a big deal. But not only do they chisel the minor league system but they are falling flat in the other two areas as well.

Not a good situation.

Lip
Very few teams can get away with relying solely on FAs to make them a contender. Most contenders have a solid core of organization players and then use FA to put them over the top.

Also, I think we've seen the good trades dry up because the Sox have almost nothing in their farm system to use for trades.

You can't just hover near dead last in talent level year after year and expect to put together a competitive team even if you bring in a few players like Peavy and Rios.