View Single Post
Old 05-05-2013, 10:04 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Barchetta View Post
What I never have understood about this argument is that the ballpark was there before the residents (unless their brownstones were handed down through family generations).

The fact that someone could buy a home a few blocks away from a major league ball park and then complain about the noise and traffic of night games is ridiculous. Sort of like buying a condo on the Vegas stip and then complaining about the lights never turning off.
Um, obviously those of us who live close enough to Wrigley to be affected by it on gamedays are aware the park is there and are willing to make sacrifices. I don't think most residents around here have a problem with giving a little to the Cubs. Half of the charm of Wrigley Field is the vibrant, affluent surrounding neighborhood. But when the Cubs keep coming in and asking for more concessions, more night games, and more burden on their neighbors, yes, it does become a problem. They're not the only residents here. They're only a part of this neighborhood. If they want to have 81 night games a season and have 20 Jumbotrons and advertising as far as the eye can see, they're more than welcome to do that, but they won't because the Wrigleyville and surrounding neighborhoods are too important to them.

It's no different than if someone bought a house that backed up to busy 4-lane road. Obviously that person would have to live with the fact that there would be traffic noise, but if the county came in and said they were going to widen it to 8 lanes, I have a feeling some people wouldn't just roll over and take it.

This may come as a shock to some people, but not everyone wants to live in a place where the roads look like this:

0-4

LAST GAME: May 31 - Padres 4, Sox 2
NEXT GAME: Maybe never? Apparently I am bad luck