View Single Post
Old 05-14-2013, 11:48 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
Maybe no one in Chicago would want to buy them, but somebody would. As someone pointed out anymore, there aren't as many untested viable baseball markets around anymore. I think that the idea of buying a baseball team in the third largest market in the US has to be appealing to someone. This team CAN make money, JR has made a lot of money with this team and knows the ins and outs of how to make money in baseball. If the team is struggling to draw and winning only seventy wins, you can bet that JR will find a way to make money somehow (though it might be by slashing payroll so he can get assistance).

For all the knocks on JR he is the one White Sox owner who has been able to consistently make money with this team and that is because he treats this as a business, which it is. It would be nice if a guy like Mark Cuban, a guy who wants to win AND make money buy the White Sox.
All this somewhat assumes that the Sox aren't making money as it is right now.

While fans are upset that the performance of the team on the field has been lacking in recent years, the performance on the books may very well be perfectly fine (and I think the Forbes guesstimates show that).

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
I'll give you one that might be ripe for a MLB franchise, San Antonio Texas, it's one of the fastest growing places in the USA. It's now number 7 in city population and number 24 in metro area population. Some MLB is going to wind up there.
I did my USAF basic training there in 1965, we drove through there a few years ago and I couldn't believe it was the same city.
Big revenue these days lies in TV money and cable contracts. That's a pretty small TV market.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 1-2.