View Single Post
Old 05-20-2013, 11:10 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Golden:

As someone else wrote in another thread it's not just the fact that the Sox are only six games out. That's not a big deal, that's do-able. It's the fact that there are four teams ahead of them in the division.

Because those teams play each other so often someone has to win, not all four teams are going to go in the tank.

Also the Sox second half schedule gets a hell of a lot tougher. 18 games with Detroit, games with the Yankees, and a 10 game road trip in late August / early September to Boston, the Yankees and Baltimore.

Those are grounds for concern.

Lip
In addition to 6 games out and behind 4 teams in the standings, the other big problem is that this White Sox team isn't very good. It's not like we're talking about waiting for a talent-laden team to snap out of a funk. This team is a few games below .500 and that's probably about right based on who is on the roster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Nell:

I've been around this community (WSI) since I started writing for it in 2002.

I can't recall any period where there appears to be less interest in the team than the past few years. I mean look at the post game threads for one example.

Like Kittle said yesterday: "White Sox baseball 2013: Even the die hards don't care anymore..."

Lip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milw View Post
I'm known in my social circle as "Mr. White Sox" (even to other Sox fans). Even I'm having trouble caring about this team. If they're losing people like me, they need to blow it up. I don't mean just the team on the field, I mean top to bottom. Hahn can stay, because he hasn't really gotten a fair shake yet, but pretty much everybody else needs to go. This franchise is at its lowest point since probably 1999.
At least they had a promising, exciting young core of talent in 1999. This might be the most un-interesting Sox team since 1988.

There are a few bright spots (Chris Sale is definitely one), but the team is generally mediocre and there doesn't seem to be much in the way of minor league talent to look forward to in the near future.