View Single Post
Old 05-26-2013, 05:51 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
The new rules take out some of the issues regarding what a drafted player can demand but let's just say that JR and Boras aren't going to be exchanging Christmas cards. I'd be surprised if the Sox drafted a Boras client or someone he is being known to 'advise' high unless there are some extenuating circumstances.

Despite what you might hear from time to time the two men do not get along, Kenny doesn't get along with him and they are still calling the shots regarding the draft.
Yeah, I think that's a given. I imagine that the two parties will continue to have an icy relationship until the day that JR passes away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
For what it's worth I've also heard the heat is starting to get turned up on Doug Laumann although that isn't fair because he takes orders just like other people. One of the issues supposedly is that he seems to be drafting only kids he has personally seen and has been taking a number of kids from the Northeast where the weather makes accurate scouting debatable. (Sometimes you can't see a guy as much as you'd like because they can't play as much...)
I've definitely heard grumblings about too many Midwest and Northeast kids taken over the past couple of years. However, they did make an about face last year as they did not draft a kid from either of those two regions until the 6th round. We'll see how this year's draft goes, but I'm cautiously optimistic that the rule changes will continue to level the playing field.

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...