View Single Post
Old 06-26-2013, 11:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Because teams need pitching. Peavy's been one of the best pitchers in the American League the past 2+ seasons now and the injury he's coming back from now, as far as I know, is not related to either his mechanics or his lat injury from several years ago. If his elbow was bugging him, then yeah, that's one thing. But a rib fracture seems like the kind of thing that once it's healed, it's water under the bridge.

But it's still hard to read the market from the outside until a move or two are made.
I think the problem is that there's other options for teams in regards to good pitchers that won't cost that much. For instance, Matt Garza is coming back from injury, has pitched really well in his last couple of starts, and won't cost nearly what a healthy Peavy would cost. Why pay the healthy Peavy price when you can grab Garza? Or, why not get Ricky Nolasco, who's both good and not injured and won't cost what Peavy would?

I think we'll see other guys come off the market first. If Peavy gets traded for anything significant, it's going to be because he comes back early and effective or because someone gets really desperate. I don't know if there's enough teams desperate for high end pitching for that to happen.