View Single Post
Old 07-13-2013, 04:12 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan H View Post
To me, one thing is obvious. This organization doesn't have the ability or resources to rebuild this team. New ownership is the only solution. The losing will go on for years because that situation is not going to change. Why debate what this team should or shouldn't do? The same people will make the same mistakes. Jerry needs to remove himself but he won't. This team has the potential to become the Pirates of the last 20 years.
I just can't agree with this, as the Sox recent history does not justify such pessimism. In the 13 seasons since 2000, the Sox have had exactly three losing seasons and in two of them, the Sox went 79-83. Yes, the Sox will have a losing season this season but there is really no legitimate basis for predicting that under the Hahn regime, "the losing will go on for years."

The Sox have four lefty starters (Sale, Danks, Quintana and Santiago) on the big league roster and a righty starter in AAA (Erik Johnson) that form a strong starting quintet going forward. That doesn't include Jake Peavy who might stick around but most likely will be dealt for prospects in the next couple of weeks. If you can pitch, you can contend.

And with Beckham, Phelgley, Viciedo and Gillaspie, the Sox do have some young position players to build around.

I'm sorry but I am not ready to go "Eeyore" on the Sox future.