View Single Post
Old 07-23-2013, 01:52 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
Hahn hasn't been on the job long enough for anyone to make any judgments, IMO. I can't say that he's better or worse than Epstein. And regardless, Hoyer is the GM of the Cubs, not Epstein. And I hope people don't mind me calling him Epstein. It baffles me that all of Chicago is on a first-name basis with him.

I guess I'll just be the idiot who doesn't want a five-year rebuilding plan. I don't think much of trading veterans for prospects. For years, I've felt that fans and media and even some baseball executives have overvalued prospects.

I remember WSI having a meltdown the day KW traded Reed, Olivo and Morse for Garcia. "DAMN YOU KENNY! YOU MORTGAGED OUR FUTURE!" Meanwhile, I was crying tears of joy because the Sox were finally acting like a big-market team, acquiring the type of top-of-the-rotation pitcher you need to win a championship.

Texas just made a move similar to the one KW made in 2004. I love the move from the Rangers' perspective. I think they will make the playoffs now. They might even get to the World Series.

Let the Cubs stockpile all these prospects. I still don't know who is going to pitch for them when they are supposedly going to return to contention in 2015. If they aren't contending by then, it will be quite fair to criticize them for trading proven big-league starting pitchers for ifs and maybes.
Maybe Theo will use his Boston approach. When the Red Sox won in 2004, most of the roster was acquired via trades and free agency. When they won again in 2007, it was a combination of home grown and acquired pitchers. He went out and got Number 1's such as Pedro, Shilling and Beckett and added young players like Lester, Buccholz, Papelbon