Thread: Avisail Garcia
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2013, 04:23 PM
WSI Personality

When I watched Avisail Garcia with Detroit against the Sox in what I think was his ML debut I shook my head and said, "Why can't the Sox have a prospect like that guy?" Seems like Hahn had the same thought. Then after his first few games with the Sox I began to think he was the second coming of Dayan Viciedo (too many strikeouts and clueless outfield play). Since then I have changed my mind (Duh!) The turning point was when he ran out that routine bouncer to short that wasn't even mishandled, for a hit. Rios might have already been back to the bench by the time the ball got to first. I am really looking forward to watching him develop -- hoping he doesn't suffer without the mentoring by Miguel Cabrera that he seemed to be getting with the Tigers. (May have been brief but maybe valuable anyway, in the way he seems happy to go with the pitch and not try to pull everything.)

Truth to tell, as a long-time fan of Luis Aparicio, Ozzie Guillen, and Juan Uribe, I am just as excited by what I have seen from the other Garcia. He looks as quick as Uribe, as smooth as Aparicio, and if only he is as smart as Ozzie he will be around for a long time. Not hitting .190 of course, but even without a hit he had a dramatic offensive impact on his only game so far for the Sox.

Kudos to Hahn. From my narrow point of view he has already turned the team around in terms of interest and optimism. Now if only Adam Dunn could get his chance to play in this years post-season, say, for the Yankees, I would be one happy fan of a losing team.