View Single Post
Old 09-08-2013, 11:49 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavko View Post
On that last play, the telecast didn't show what the 2B/SS were doing to deke the runner into thinking the ball was in play. Wish I'd seen that. Was that the same Addison Reed who struck out the side in a non-save situation a couple days ago? I guess he can only pitch in non-save situations.
Of course, after the game in Seattle, some insisted the problem was Reed couldn't pitch in non-save situations, as if he last pitcher in the bullpen who loses the lead after your team takes breaks a scoreless tie deep in extra-innings can be considered to have failed in a non-save situation. And for the consternation about Reed pitching too much during the winning streak, he was saving those games.

There are a couple of interesting points in the way the Sox won this game. The Orioles couldn't score a leadoff double in the eighth when they were down by three. They had two on and one out in both the eighth and ninth and hit/ran into double plays. If the Sox had lost the way the Orioles lost today, on that last play, one can only imagine the tone of the postgame thread. Complain about the White Sox playing stupid baseball, but I see a lot of stupid baseball being played out there by winning teams.