View Single Post
Old 09-10-2013, 10:09 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by cards press box View Post
Dunn is a left handed hitter and the Orioles could use some lefty pop to go with Chris Davis. Why? Well, one reason is that Markakis hashad a down year offensively. In 2013, Markakis in 565 AB's has 9 HR 54 RBI and a slash line of .273/.326/.359. In contrast, in 481 AB's, Dunn has 31 HR 82 RBI with a slash line of .222/.322/.468. Markakis is the better defensive player and is younger (Markakis is 29 and Dunn is 33). Both have a year left on their contracts and the Orioles have a 2015 team option for Markakis.

I think it is a fair deal in this sense: Markakis gives a lot less power and RBI but gives better defense and better average and probably better OBP, although that has been a wash this year. Markakis could, in a pinch, lead off and do OK.

Neither one is great but Dunn gives the Orioles more of what they need and Markakis gives the Sox more of what they need (i.e., all around play). Of course, if the Sox do deal Dunn, they are going to have bring in some power.
Proposing a Dunn for Markakis trade is not as far-fetched as it might seem on first glance, but Baltimore would not do it because Dunn is definitely not a Sholwalter type of player. Even if Sholwalter was amenable to the idea, Dunn does not fit into what Baltimore is trying to build, as his only viable position is DH. They let go of Reynolds not just because of the strikeouts but also because of defense. Sholwalter hates players who are limited fundamentally in certain areas. Not going to happen.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." George Orwell